The LEMAF Mentorship Program aims to build the community by supporting our young adults, college students.
The LEMAF Mentorship Program aims to build the community by supporting our young adults and college students.
Mentoring is a powerful personal and career development tool that can enable the mentee to achieve or exceed their life's goals and aspirations. The role of a mentor is multi-faceted, may be formal or informal, and may change or evolve as the needs of the mentee change. A mentor can be a role model, coach, sounding board, voice of reason, emotional support, counselor, and a trusted resource. What does a mentor do? Depending upon the mentee's needs a mentor:
- Shares knowledge and life experiences
- Provides guidance and advice
- Offers encouragement
- Is genuinely interested in the mentees questions and concerns
- Is open and honest
- Explores different careers
- Discusses goal setting
- Advises on professional development
- Identifies resources
- Helps to develop leadership skills
- Provides insight into corporate culture
- Can provide exposure and visibility within an organization
- Advises on networking and networking opportunities
- Reviews resume
- Provides interview tips
- May introduce to contacts
“A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself." Source: Oprah Winfrey. Mentors guide, motivate, inspire and support – enabling the mentee to achieve their life's goals and aspirations.
Signup for this program using the mentoring sign-up form on this page. Anyone can sign up to participate.
- values receiving feedback and an opportunity to learn
- honours the confidentiality of discussions/work with the mentor
- values goal-setting as part of the mentor/mentee relationship
- models analytical and reflective practice
- is open to the views of the mentor and others (effective listener, communicator)
- has effective interpersonal skills
- Loneliness, lack of support
- Interest in taking greater ownership of a positive career
- Interest in understanding and improving overall well-being